N. Pirilides & Associates LLC


Offering high-quality and effective legal advice



Registration certificates of EU Citizens and their family members in Cyprus

Registration of EU citizens in Cyprus

EU Citizens are free to enter, leave, travel and live in Cyprus and may also engage in any economic activity, either as paid employees or self-employed persons, service providers or engage in any educational opportunity in Cyprus, under the same conditions as Cypriot citizens.

A person who is going to spend less than 4 months in Cyprus only needs to have a valid passport or a valid identity card and not expiring in less than 6 months, which shows the person’s nationality. If during this period, the person takes up employment in Cyprus, the employer is obliged to register him/her with the Social Insurance Fund. Thereafter, one has to apply for an Alien Registration Certificate (ARC) at the local Immigration Branch of the Police (issued automatically for monitoring purposes) and at the same time for a Registration Certificate.

A EU citizen/national who plans to stay for more than 4 months in Cyprus is required by law to go personally to the Civil Registry and Migration Department and apply for the Registration Certificate (the registration certificate is for life and does not need to be renewed) for EU Nationals (or Yellow Slip) - Form MEU1A. This application must be submitted within 4 months from the date of entry to Cyprus.

The certificate is issued in a short period of time from the application date (within 2 days). The registration certificate is issued only if the applicant has secured a paid job in Cyprus or if he is self-employed or a student or if the applicant has identified a reasonable means for living in Cyprus without working.

In order to obtain this certificate one should submit the following:

  • A duly completed standard form (obtainable from Civil Registry & Migration Dept. or from the local Immigration Branch of the Police) depending on the category of residence permit one is applying for (employed activity, self-employment etc.)
  • Confirmation of engagement by the employer (if applicable)
  • Statement contributions to the Social Insurance Fund since arrival in Cyprus or proof of registration with the Social Insurance Fund (if just arrived in Cyprus)
  • Proof of accommodation
  • A Valid Passport or ID Card
  • 2 passport sized photos

Note: if one is applying for dependants, he must present certified true copies of marriage certificate, birth certificates of children etc.

It should be noted that a fine is imposed in the case of non-compliance (Law N.7 (I)/2007) and specifically a fine to any EU national who works in Cyprus without being registered.

Note: a residence permit is not required to begin working in Cyprus - an EU national may begin work while the residency paperwork is still in process - however the employer and employee may be fined if application for the registration certificate is never made.

Registration of family members in Cyprus (who are also EU citizens)

The family members of the applicant can live in Cyprus with the applicant and provided they are EU citizens, the following will apply to them without any other restrictions or requirements.

The registration certificate is issued when the following are submitted:

  • A duly completed standard form (obtainable from Civil Registry & Migration Dept. or from the local Immigration Branch of the Police)
  • A Valid passport or ID Card, and several copies
  • Proof of the family relationship (certified copies of marriage certificate and children's birth certificates)
  • Family members that are not dependants must show proof of a serious medical condition which leaves them completely dependent
  • The registration certificate of the EU-citizen family member already residing in Cyprus (if it has been issued)
  • Two passport-sized photos for each member

Registration of family members in Cyprus (who are not EU citizens)

If family members are Third Country nationals, they can still live in Cyprus with the applicant.  The residence certificate (Pink Slip) - Form MEU2A is issued to the non-EU family members of EU citizens moving with them to Cyprus.  The application must be made within 4 months of the date of entry, otherwise a fine will be imposed.  

Work permit for EU citizens or citizens of an EEA country or Switzerland

The correct term for it is a registration certificate for EU citizens and it is technically a residency permit known as the “yellow slip” as it is printed on yellow paper.

EU citizens need to apply for a work permit/yellow slip within 4 months of arriving in Cyprus. An EU national may begin work while the residency paperwork is still in process.

Permanent Residence Card - Form MEU3A

EU citizens who reside in the Republic of Cyprus for more than 5 years may obtain a permanent registration certificate (Form MEU3). The application for permanent residence should be accompanied by various documents in order to prove continuity of residence in the Republic of Cyprus and is usually issued within 1 year of the date of application.

For any assistance in obtaining the registration certificates and/or residence permits please contact us at info@pirilides.com and we will be happy to help.